During the week of Cinco, Americans spend more than $735 million on beer and most of those purchases are Mexican imports.
- Mexican beer imports were up 3% through April 2019, to about 8.4 million barrels, according to the Beer Institute.
- Mexican Imports grew, up +5.4% during Cinco de Mayo 2019 in the on-premise.
- Last year, Cinco de Mayo was a top holiday selling period for beer in the on-premise, with Mexican Imports contributing $454MM to the imported beer category.
The Brands: A Celebration of Beers from Mexico
Off-premise, Casa Modelo and the Corona brand family contributed 83% off-premise and 70% on-premise of the total Mexican Import dollar sales during Cinco 2019!1
- Corona was the most talked about beer on social media on Cinco de Mayo 2019 per Crimson Hexagon.
- Corona is the #1 beer that millennials say best represents Cinco.1
- Corona 12-pack bottles were the #1 selling beer package during Cinco 2019!2
1 Collage Group & Constellation Brands Cinco de Mayo Survey 2018; Shopper Sights 2019, Instagram 2019
2 IRI, Total US Multi-Outlet + Convenience
- At only 90 calories and 2.6g of carbs, Corona Premier fits into the active lifestyles of health-conscious consumers.
- 75% of its volume is sourced outside the Constellation portfolio. There has been little to no cannibalization of Corona Light.
- Modelo Especial has had 10 straight years of double-digit growth.
- Especial was the #1 Import growth driver during Cinco 2019.*
- 12-pk Modelo Especial bottles were the #2 Import package during the week of Cinco last year.*
- This year, Modelo will have a robust, national English & Spanish language TV plan throughout the Cinco promotional period, including presence within NBA playoffs & live soccer, and they will maintain strong social and digital presence.
*IRI Total US Multi-outlet + Convenience
- Pacifico hit 10 million cases in 2019, a #14 national growth driver.1
- Volume is up 10% nationally, 47% of the growth is from cans.1
- Pacifico is the #2 share gainer of the top 10 selling Mexican Import brands.1
- Pacifico is +11% in the on-premise in the buildup to Cinco.2
1 IRI, Total US Multi-outlet + Convenience
2 Nielsen CGA On-premise
- Dos Equis Lager is the 6th fastest growing draught brand in the on-premise, up +3%.2
- On-premise, Dos Equis Lager ranks within the top 10 packaged beer brands.2
- Dos Equis Lager grew +5.4% in the off-premise during Cinco de Mayo 2019.1
- Off-premise, Dos Equis Lager yields greater dollar lift during Cinco de Mayo versus other leading Mexican Imports.1
- Tecate package volume (+2%) and rate of sale (+3%), continue to grow in the on-premise.2
- Tecate experienced 1.5 times greater dollar lift versus Import segment off-premise when on display during Cinco de Mayo.3
- Core Tecate multipacks continue to grow, including 6-pack (+2%) & 12-pack bottles (+3%), and 24-pack cans (+21%) in grocery.4
1 Nielsen Total US FDCM+, 2 we 5.11.19
2 Nielsen CGA Total US On-premise ($ Vol) 52 we 11.2.19
3 Nielsen Total US Grocery, 2 we 5.11.19
4 Nielsen Total US FDCM+, 26 we 1.18.20
- Sol partnered with street artist Spaik45 this year to create new, Cinco de Mayo 12-pack packaging.
- Thematic artwork created by Spaik45 will adorn sunglasses and tote bags that can be used for on-premise events.