- March 24, 2017
Lots of beer lovers and their families go to Fox Brewery’s Pottstown location to enjoy award-winning brews and great food.(The pizza is fantastic!) Situated on six acres, adjacent to the Schuylkill River Trail, this brewery is also famous for its outdoor events – Can Jam Music Festival, Cyclocross Race and of course one of Philadelphia’s best beer events, the annual Bock Fest and Goat Race.
Sly Fox Director of Sales Mark Weinmann sat down with Heady Times to discuss the brewery’s upcoming release, SRT Ale. Brewed to honor, and raise money for, the preservation of the Schuylkill River Trail, this session IPA is emblematic of the brewery’s passion for the preservation of this legendary trail that connects Pottstown to Philadelphia.
Here are 10 things you should know about Sly Fox SRT Ale:
1. SRT Ale is a low alcohol, golden, hop-forward American pale ale. Many call it a session IPA, but we’ll let you make the choice. Released in 12 oz. cans and draught, SRT Ale is a great tasting, easily crushable beer.
2. SRT stands for Schuylkill River Trail, a multi-use, part wild, part paved trail in Southeastern PA. Eventually it will extend the entire 130-mile length of the Schuylkill River. It runs through Philadelphia, Montgomery, Chester, Berks and Schuylkill counties. If you haven’t experienced it yet – get out there!
3. Sly Fox first brewed SRT Ale three years ago as a tribute to the Schuylkill River Trail and all of the trail users and outdoor athletes.
4. Released in time for Earth Day on the 22nd of April every year, SRT Ale is available through September. It’s a great summertime beer.
5. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of the beer goes to the Schuylkill River Heritage Area (SRHA), administered by the Schuylkill River Greenway Association. The money is used to clean up the SRT, maintain and improve existing trails and supply call boxes along the trail for safety.
6. To date, Sly Fox has raised over $9,000 in support!
7. This month, Sly Fox Brewing Co. will receive the prestigious “Schuylkill River Legacy Award” from the SRHA. Previous recipients include PennDot and Exelon Corporations.
8. In 2016, USA Today named the Schuylkill River Trail, “Best Urban Trail in the Nation”.
9. The SRT Spree is an annual party that celebrates the trail and the Earth Day release of SRT Ale. Fans and enthusiasts are welcome to join the celebration along the trail: Kayak, cycle, run, hike or walk with the folks of Sly Fox, the SRHA, the Schuylkill Canal Association and Take It Outdoors Adventures. Participants choose their own adventure. Other options include: organized cleanups, bike rides and a 50k relay race along the trail. The day ends with a party in Phoenixville’s St. Michael Park, where food trucks, live music and plenty of beer, including SRT Ale, await!
10. Every outdoor adventure should end with a great beer!