- March 11, 2019
“During a meeting? After a workout? Before driving? Have a beer. Seriously, now you can.”
So goes the mission statement of Heineken 0.0 – the world’s best tasting beer brewed without alcohol.
Already a major hit in the UK, Russia & Spain, we sat down with a few members of Heineken’s brand team: Ashley Phelps, Santiago Murphy and Michelle Sauer to learn more about this innovative product, taking the beer world by storm!
- Heineken 0.0 was inspired by consumers’ rising interest in wellness and moderation. “We wanted to provide a great tasting brew that is in lock-step with the rising cultural trends around living a balanced lifestyle. Heineken 0.0 empowers people who want that balance, without giving up occasions that call for a beer. It’s a zero-alcohol option with zero trade-offs.”
- We love beer! And sometimes you want to enjoy a refreshing brew, but not the alcohol. Heineken calls these “non-beer moments”, a new opportunity for consumers. “Heineken 0.0 opens up new possibilities. This zero-judgment beer allows consumers to do more.”
- Over 30% of adults don’t drink alcohol. Heineken 0.0 provides an opportunity for retailers to specifically target these customers.
- The taste profile of Heineken 0.0 can’t be beat! Especially for those who love beer. “Heineken 0.0 is not a replacement, but an addition to a beer lover’s portfolio. It tastes exactly like a classic Heineken.”
- Developing the best tasting, non-alcoholic beer was no small feat. “Removing alcohol from regular 5% Heineken would have been easy, but it wouldn’t deliver the best tasting non-alcoholic beer. We wanted to push the boundaries, so we gave our Master Brewers a blank sheet of paper and challenged them to brew a perfectly balanced, non-alcoholic lager from scratch.”
- Like original Heineken, Heineken 0.0 is made with all-natural ingredients. “0.0 is double brewed with natural ingredients, which are the same as the ones used to make Heineken (water, barley malt, hop extract and Heineken A-yeast). We gently remove the alcohol with vacuum distillation and blend the brew to perfection with natural flavors.”
- Heineken 0.0 aims to be the go-to option without alcohol on the menu, creating the perfect opportunity to up-sell to consumers, who usually stick to water at on-premise accounts.
- Expect to see tons of marketing support throughout the year – over $50 million worth to be exact. “The Now You Can campaign positions Heineken 0.0 as a cool, non-alcoholic choice for all moments and social occasions.”