- December 18, 2019
In today’s overcrowded brewing landscape, it’s easy to forget about the tried and true breweries in our own backyards. The Stoudt family has been brewing in Adamstown, PA for over 30 years and, as pioneers of the industry, have paved the way for many breweries today. While some drinkers might be out searching for the newest beer and brewery to try, this OG of the industry has more than enough to offer.
Heady Times talked with Tom Miller, a representative from Stoudts, to find out a few things you need to know about the brewery.
- Ed and Carol Stoudt started Stoudts Brewing Company in 1987. At the time, it was Pennsylvania’s first “microbrewery” and one of just 73 breweries in the United States.
- Carol Stoudt was also the first woman to open a brewery since prohibition.
- Today, Stoudts Brewery has an annual capacity of 15,000 barrels.
- Gearshifter IPA, Golden Helles Lager and Pils will be available year round in 2020, with APA, Scarlet Lady and Fat Dog making seasonal appearances.
- Double IPA will have limited availability, but will see a reformulation and new packaging mid to late summer.
- The brewery’s newest series called “Queen of Hops” is centered around using innovative ingredients and techniques to produce unique interpretations of popular beer styles. “It’s the love of creating beautiful beers one batch at a time,” says Carol Stoudt. Next to be released in the series is a hazy IPA.
- Stoudts also has a 1-barrel pilot system that the brewers like to play on. Most of the beers brewed with this system are served in the restaurant, called Black Angus, which is adjacent to the brewery. If the beer is a success there, they’ll brew it on a larger scale.
- Early next year, Stoudts will be collaborating with another local brewery, Sly Fox. Look for this black lager in 16 oz. cans and on draught. It will also be served at joint promotions the breweries will be hosting.
- 2020 will be the 41st year that Stoudts will host their Oktoberfest celebration.
- In addition to Oktoberfest, the brewery hosts numerous events throughout the year, including open mic nights, cyclocross, running races, beer fests and art fests. The beer hall is also available for weddings, corporate events, private parties, etc. year round.