Merchant Du Vin
Back in 1996 as the first wave of the American craft beer industry was beginning to fade, two guys in Escondido, California sunk $500,000 into a new brewery.
Green's Brewery was founded in 2004. The brewery is dedicated to brewing gluten free, full-flavored beers without barley or wheat, so beer lovers with gluten intolerance can enjoy them. The beers are brewed at Andelot DeProef Browerij, in Lochristi, Belgium.
In 1809, the Lindemans family, who owned a farm in Vlezenbeek near Brussels, decided to intensify their Lambic brewing activities during winter, when less farm work had to be done. That was eight generations ago and they’ve never stopped. Due to their growing success, the brewery became more important and consequently, in 1930, farm activities ceased and Lindemans started the production of Gueuze and Kriek. In 1978, the brewery started the production of Faro after a period during which that style had almost disappeared from the market. Framboise was launched in 1980 and due to the success of the fruit-beers, two new beers were subsequently developed: Cassis and Pecheresse in 1987. The family decided to build a new brewery next the old one in 1991 to meet the growing needs of the market without any loss of quality. Brothers René and Nestor Lindemans, assisted by their sons Dirk and Geert and export manager Tony Dillen, currently own the brewery.
The Ayinger Brewery was founded in a picturesque village near Munich in 1878. Ayinger beers are characterized by their delicious balanced maltiness (not found in beers of the major Munich breweries). Ayinger uses a significant portion of locally-grown barley and wheat to produce their beers. In a land of wonderful breweries, Ayinger is considered a benchmark of excellence.
http://www.merchantduvin.com One of the finest and most storied breweries in Belgium is in the Notre Dame d' Orval monastery in Villers-devant-Orval, near Florenville in the Belgian province of Luxembourg. The Orval abbey was founded in the 1100s. In 1529, Emperor Charles Quint granted the monks authorization to establish a foundry which would provide the necessary revenues for the repair of war damages. The abbey was destroyed during the French Revolution. When Orval began to rise again from its ruins after more than 130 years, the enormous task of rebuilding the monastery required considerable financial means and a brewery was established to assume the role of the former foundry. The present brewery was completed in 1929.
In 1770, John Barras opened a brewery under the name John Barras & Co. in Gateshead, a town across the Tyne River on the outskirts of Newcastle. In 1884, Barras’ company acquired the Tyne Brewery and moved all production to the town of Newcastle. In 1890, John Barras & Co. joined forces with Carr Bros & Carr, J.J. & W.H. Allison and Swinburne & Co., four local brewers, and created Newcastle Breweries, Ltd. Colonel James (“Jim”) Herbert Porter, a third generation brewer at Newcastle Breweries, refined the recipe for Newcastle Brown Ale alongside chemist Archie Jones over a period of three years, becoming the first brewer to combine two seemingly incompatible malts: English pale and dark caramel. Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in April 1927 at the Tyne brewery and became an instant success among locals. It went on to sweep the board at the prestigious 1928 International Brewery Awards. The gold medals from these awards are still featured on the label. The blue star logo was introduced to the Newcastle Brown Ale bottle in 1928. The five points of the star represent the five founding breweries of Newcastle. Newcastle Brown Ale was brewed at the Tyne Brewery for 121 years until April 2005, when the brewery was demolished and production of Newcastle Brown Ale and all Newcastle seasonal beers moved back to Gateshead. The Newcastle story has come full circle to where John Barras founded his brewery in 1770.
http://www.merchantduvin.com Samuel Smith’s is one of the few remaining independent breweries in England - the Old Brewery at Tadcaster was founded in 1758 and is Yorkshire’s oldest brewery. It is among the last to utilize the classic Yorkshire Square system of fermentation. Now in its fifth generation of family management, the brewery continues to maintain its rich brewing tradition. The yeast at The Old Brewery has not been altered in over a century. Only whole Kent hop flowers, which are hand-weighed by the master hop blender, are used and the brewing water is drawn from a well sunk over 200 years ago. First introduced to the U.S. market in 1978, Samuel Smith’s beers quickly became the benchmark ales for the emerging craft beer movement.
Traquair House Brewery was founded in 1965 by Peter Maxwell Stuart, 20th Laird of Traquair and is located in the oldest inhabited house in Scotland, once owned by the kings of Scotland. The brewery was originally an 18th century domestic brewery producing beer for the house and estate workers. It stop being used some time after 1800 but the vessels and equipment remained untouched until it was rediscovered in 1965.